Below is a copy of the Propllr Occasional – a newsletter we send out occasionally. It’s totally great.
From the start I knew this email series would be occasional, and I said as much. What I didn’t know was that it would be about 9 months between occasions… Well, let’s get on with it, then:
Some startup PR and communications advice from our blog
- PR can be mysterious, and retainers even more so. Here’s what goes into them.
- Donald Trump may not tell the truth, and he may flipflop, but according to former Pres. Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau, he’s succeeding by cutting out the bullshit.
- “Beneficence” is a trend, and other things I learned from Max Levchin at SXSW.
Some exciting new(ish) clients
- InContext Solutions – If you’re in retail, you better know about virtual reality, and InContext Solutions will get you there.
- Jellyvision – ALEX, an algorithm- and humor-powered employee benefits communication advisor, is used by millions of employees at more than 70 of the Fortune 500 and hundreds of other companies nationwide.
- CouponCabin – Making online savings automatic with the Sidekick, an amazing browser extension for automatic cash-back, and guaranteed coupons from thousands of retailers.
- Launchpad Lab – Builders of awesome digital products for companies large and small, brand-new and established.
- PDQ Enterprises – The PDQ ATS is an alternative trading system for U.S. equities, offering a better way for institutional investors to buy and sell stocks.
The Propllr Sweetspot
Many know us for our focus on startups, but not every company we work with would be described that way. In case you’re wondering, these are the common characteristics:
- Innovative – They are doing things in new ways, finding opportunities for themselves and their customers where there were none before.
- Founder-led – Their founders are still involved at the highest levels.
- Growing – They are focused on growth first and foremost.
- PR Is an Investment – They know PR and content marketing generate momentum over time, creating a powerful platform for converting prospects, recruiting great talent and attracting investors.
What’s keeping us amused, informed and engaged
- Ever feel like this is a suitable metaphor for a day in the life of your startup?
- That report on what causes or prevents cancer? It’s (almost certainly) wrong.
- Internet video has a long long long long way to go to hit TV’s audience.
- What you see is often based on what you believe.
- That’s no moon (firepit).
A few of our favorite things
- Local Eclectic – An online marketplace launched in Chicago featuring under-the-radar independent jewelry designers.
- 30 Days of Genius – A daily dose of creative inspiration from an incredible variety of artists, business people and thinkers.
- The Distance Podcast – Jason Fried and Basecamp’s ode to businesses 25 years old or older, produced and hosted by former Chicago Tribune tech writer Wailin Wong.
- The Propllr Client Press Page – We’re about more than just placements, but this is a great example of our focus on results.
Thanks for making this far – I hope it was worth your time! If it wasn’t, let me know and I’ll happily (well, sadly really) remove you from our list.
Onward and upward!
Josh and the team at Propllr