This is Propllr’s inaugural, occasional posting of cool, interesting, amusing or insightful nuggets about startups, founders and related areas – we’ll be doing these more frequently than quarterly, but less frequently than weekly (subscribe here).
Hope you enjoy.
Some startup PR thoughts and advice…
- Our thoughts on putting the relations back in public relations.
- A startup story sticks if it has RIBS – here’s a great way to look at your PR potential from our favorite startup blog.
Some lessons for startup founders from the interweb…
- Don’t celebrate early.
- Don’t look like a bum.
- Don’t think you’re cool just because people know your name.
What we’re fixated on…
- Mark is eager for a guilt-free solution for all those emails he knows he needs to send.
- Betsy is turning into a master chef – or at least a master restaurant snob.
- Madeline is digging adults reading their childhood diaries (um, no, she won’t be reading hers).
- Josh is auditing Sam Altman’s startup master-class.
A new client…
- Quotacy is an online life insurance agent that offers fast and accurate quotes without you having to share any contact info. No more sales calls during Game of Thrones.
Some new friends…
- Jeff Carter, a founding member of Hyde Park Angels, is as interesting and engaging as they come. A must-stop on the Chicago seed-round circuit, Jeff has an acerbic wit and tons of energy. Check out his latest – West Loop Ventures.
- Jason Henrichs, in just a few months, has become Chicago’s most plugged in fintech networker. If you’re in fintech, you have to be a part of FinTEx “cluster.”
An old friend…
- We caught up with Jake Hamann at SXSW and he is just killing it with OneFire, his digital design and development shop in Peoria (yes, Peoria). Doing tons of work in virtual reality for bigtime Fortune 500 clients. Also the driving force of the thriving Startup Peoria group. Super impressive dude you should get to know, and who will soon be making waves here in Chicago.
A great group we support…
- Moneythink, a national financial literacy non-profit run by Forbes 30 Under 30 recipient Ted Gonder.
A sampling of recent client placements…
- If Your Household Were a Business, Would It Succeed? Quotacy in MainSt.
- Dr. iPhone Will See You Now. 4D Healthware in USA Today.
- America’s Best Cities for Music Scenes. Chicago Music Exchange in Travel + Leisure.
- Financial Technology is Growing in Chicago. Barchart on WBEZ-FM’s Tech Shift.
- Apps and Widgets Come to the Trading World. OptionsCity in John Lothian Newsletter.
- 4 Money-Saving Apps for Mobile Entrepreneurs. ParkWhiz in Entrepreneur.
- Connectional Intelligence Helps Founders Succeed. Real Food Blends in Forbes.
- New AWS C4 Instances Put to the Test. Turing Group in TechTarget.
- When a Disaster Like the East Village Rocks Your Block. Insureon in Crain’s New York Business.
- Websites and Apps that Help with Spring Cleaning. SpaceWays on WGN-TV.
If you made it this far, then I hope you feel it was time well-spent (and again – you can subscribe here).
Until next time,